Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Week 6 - Chion Article

Sound in film is an interesting phenomenon. I always found how you can take an any moment wether it be serious or comedic and change the effectiveness and meaning just by adding certain sounds. When I edit films, I enjoy placing sound effects during certain parts to add comedy to certain moments. Sound effects aren’t the only thing that matter though. The score of a movie to me is just as important as the rest of the film. If the score is bad it is noticeably bad. Now a good score is one that isn’t noticed at all but, it carries the movie in the subconscious. But, a great score is well noticed and predominant throughout a great film. Whenever I hear a great score I immediately find the sound track the next day. I love collecting score music because it is the essence of film. Chion makes good points in his articles about sound. I think sound matters more than what the image shows us because depending on what the sound is at a certain moment it can change the perception of what is actually on screen. There is one thing for sure, sound is a powerful device.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home